What Is Iridology? Iridology is the study of your health via an examination of the iris, (coloured section of the eye) the sclera (white of the eye) and the structural aspects of the eye including the pupil (the black centre) the pupil border and collarette.
There are three true base colours recognised in iridology. These are:
The Mixed Eye or Biliary type develops from two underlying genetic sources – blue or brown irises with varying dominance over one another (often appearing light brown to greenish brown and often described as hazel with pigmentation concentered around the centre of the eye). With this type of constitution, the following systems are more predisposed to certain disorders.
- Hepatic system (liver and gallbladder)
- Digestive system (stomach and pancreas)
- Intestinal system (small and large intestines)
This constitution has a connection with the traditional Western medicine constitutional type know as the choleric temperament. These people were thought to have a surplus of bile. People with this eye pattern are prone to problems in breaking down one or more basic components of nutrition (fats, proteins, or carbohydrates) due to a genetic enzyme deficiency. Improperly digested food causes problems with the liver and other digestive organs which can lead to further imbalances in the glandular and circulatory systems.
Therefore mixed eyes would generally indicate:
- Intestinal gas, indigestion, bloating, diarrhoea, and constipation, gut bacteria out of balance (dysbiosis)
- Disturbances of fat metabolism causing gallstones, high cholesterol, acne and fatty deposits
- Problems with carbohydrate metabolism leading to hypoglycaemia or diabetes
- Tendency to headaches, especially migraines
- Food allergies
- Reproductive disturbances such as PMS
- Sleep disturbances with difficulty getting to sleep at night, followed by morning sluggishness
Just some of the suggestions I would recommend for this type of constitution regarding diet and lifestyle are:
- Herbal bitters and/or digestive enzymes to help improve protein and carbohydrate metabolism.
- Reduce foods that add stress to liver function. These foods include trans fats, processed foods, alcohol, dairy products, red meat, and rich sweets.
- The juice of half a lemon in a glass of warm water before breakfast is an excellent way to start the day as this encourages bile production.
- Coffee can be highly stimulatory and not desirable for the biliary type.
- Strive towards drinking at least two litres of clear fluid daily, depending on your physical activity; this includes herbal teas
- A diet high in natural fibre from fruit and vegetables will ensure you poop daily.
Helpful herbs for a mixed eye constitution can include St Mary’s Thistle, Dandelion root and Globe Artichoke for the liver and Gentian and Ginger to strengthen the digestive system. Slippery elm, Marshmallow and Pectin are great to aid in repairing gut permeability.
Simply because a person belongs to a constitution, it does not mean they are limited to these problems - or will even manifest them. Environmental, physical and emotional influences shape your susceptibilities to illness or health. It is all about what you do with what you get.
Would you like to find out more?
Make a booking today for an iridology assessment and learn more about your iridology constitution and other iris markings to determine exactly which systems are the most inherently compromised. Once determined we can make appropriate nutritional, herbal and lifestyle recommendations to help strengthen, nurture and restore your health.