What Is Iridology? Iridology is the study of your health via an examination of the iris, (coloured section of the eye) the sclera (white of the eye) and the structural aspects of the eye including the pupil (the black centre) the pupil border and collarette.
There are three true base colours recognised in iridology. These are:
- Blue (lymphatic)
- Brown (haematogenic)
- Mixed (biliary)
Brown eyes (a thick velvety pigment layer of various shades of brown which obscures the underlying fibre structure) are associated with a Hematogenic Constitution. With this type of constitution, the following systems are more predisposed to certain disorders.
- Hepatic (liver and gallbladder)
- Glandular (coordinates actions in the body by secreting various hormones and chemical substances into the bloodstream) & lymph nodes
This constitution has a connection with the traditional Western medicine constitutional type know as the choleric temperament. These people were thought to have a surplus of bile. There is some connection between this iris colour and that constitutional pattern as liver problems are the essence of both. People with this eye pattern tend to problems with digestion that lead to problems with mineral absorption and utilisation, leading to problems with the circulatory and structural system.
Therefore brown eyes would generally indicate:
- Indigestion, nervous stomach, and constipation.
- Disturbances of fat metabolism causing gallstones, high cholesterol and triglycerides levels.
- Venous congestion causing varicose veins, spider veins, haemorrhoids and inflammation of the veins (such as deep vein thrombosis).
- Sluggishness or congestion of the lymphatic system.
- Tendency to an imbalance in blood composition, anaemia, and thicker blood viscosity.
- Tendency for hardening of the arteries (arteriosclerosis), impaired circulatory function and heart disease.
- Trace mineral deficiencies and difficulty in storing trace minerals (due to problems with digestion).
- Tendency to breakdown of the endocrine glands (especially the thyroid, adrenals and pituitary).
Just some of the suggestions I would recommend for this type of constitution regarding diet and lifestyle are:
- Herbal bitters to help improve protein metabolism and reduce gas formation.
- The daily diet should be ✓High in fibre. ✓ Quality protein (plant-based, lean meat and fish), healthy carbohydrates and healthy fats. ✓ At least two serves of fruit and five serves of vegetables a day. ✓ Omega-3 foods such as almonds, walnuts, pumpkin, chia seeds, hemp seeds and flaxseeds. ✓ Drink at least eight glasses of clear fluid daily (depending on your physical activity) this includes herbal teas
- Exercise is critical to improving heart and cardiovascular health. Suggested types of exercise are walking, swimming, jogging, or bike riding as these are beneficial to circulation.
Helpful herbs to a haematogenic constitution can include Hawthorn, Alfalfa, Oatstraw, Nettles, and Ginger for the cardiovascular and glandular systems, St Mary’s Thistle and Globe Artichoke for the liver and Gentian and Ginger to strengthen the digestive system.
Simply because a person belongs to a constitution, it does not mean they are limited to these problems - or will even manifest them. Environmental, physical and emotional influences shape your susceptibilities to illness or health. It is all about what you do with what you get.
Would you like to find out more?
Make a booking today for an iridology assessment and learn more about your iridology constitution and other iris markings to determine exactly which systems are the most inherently compromised. Once determined we can make appropriate nutritional, herbal and lifestyle recommendations to help strengthen, nurture and restore your health.
Not your eye colour? Then be sure to watch for the next post on mixed eyes.