Elderberries (Sambucus nigra) are a super common and excellent remedy for the treatment of both colds (rhinovirus) and flu (influenza). Research has shown that the compounds in Elderberries directly kill and prevent replication of the influenza virus in multiple strains and within 24 hours!
Elderberries are antioxidant, cooling, antiviral, antimicrobial and stimulating to the immune system. No wonder they are superb in helping to get you through your cold or flu.
4 cups cold filtered water
2 cups organic dried Elderberries (Sambucus racemosa) - blue or black, not red
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon fresh grated organic ginger root (or organic dried ginger root)
Manuka Honey (a gift from the bees - used for a sore throat and boosting immunity)
- Combine the berries and herbs with cold water in a pot and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and allow herbs to simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and crush the berries into the liquid mixture.
- Strain the berries and herbs through unbleached muslin cloth and squeeze out the juice.
- Measure the juice and add an equal amount of Manuka honey. Gently heat the Manuka honey and juice for a few minutes until well combined. Please do not boil!
- Bottle in sterilized glass.
- The syrup will last in the fridge for up to 6 months in a sealed jar or bottle.