Far too many of us live in a state of recurrent stress with it becoming more challenging in this fast pace stressed out world to keep our minds and senses sharp, and our energy and emotional levels balanced, let alone find time to relax.
You cannot be restful or properly digest and assimilate food when your sympathetic nervous system is overstimulated. The main elements of the nervous system that nervine remedies act on is the autonomic branch of the motor nervous system. The autonomic nervous system consists of the parasympathetic and sympathetic branches, which are responsible for resting and digesting, and the fight, flight, or freeze response, respectively.
In dealing with our everyday stresses herbs help us with the restoration and supportive process for these areas of the nervous system. Keeping in mind that you also need to include the other key components proper rest, proper diet and moderate exercise.
It is really interesting to note that the nervine herbs not only work on the neurological component but also support digestion through either their bitter tonic or carminative actions.
There are some pretty cool herbs in natures arsenal to help deal with the 21st epidemic - no time to relax!
Listed below are some of the herbs that have provided their numerous and powerful benefits in my Serenity & Bliss Infusions.
- Chamomile (Matricaria recutita) is relaxing but not sedative and as a nightcap is extremely beneficial for relaxing the mind when the head is busy and full of the day's doings or the next's days problems. Chamomile is also ideal after a busy day helping you to wind down before dinner to prevent any nervous tension that could affect digestion.
- Catnip (Nepeta cataria) a gentle calming herb to help you relax, relieve your stresses and soothe the nerves without being sedating. Catnip also brings on a restful sleep by relaxing the mind.
- Lavender (Lavandula officinalis) the scent alone is relaxing. Lavender is nerve soothing which results in a more stable mood, better concentration, reduced muscle tension and reduced anxiety. Lavender also helps ease insomnia by providing a more relaxed and restful sleep.
- Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) known as the gladdening herb as it elevates the mood lifts the spirits and provides a lovely calming and relaxing effect without being sedative. Lemon balm helps to replenish, rebuild, and strengthen those frazzled nerves. As Lemon balm is calming to the nervous system, it also helps to take a scattered, stressed out mind and focus it. The rich aromatic oils in Lemon Balm have a highly calming action on the digestive system making it helpful for digestive conditions that are stress related, such as nausea, Irritable Bowel Syndrome or the butterflies in the stomach sensation.
- Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata) valued for its ability to help calm and relax nervous energy. A stronger herb for hyperactivity, restlessness and tension during the day while at night helping to ensure a deep and restful sleep due to its nourishing effects on the nerves. When the mind is agitated and chaotic Passionflower can also help to bring clarity and perspective.
- Rose petals (Rosa centifolia) provide a gentle restorative action on the heart by uplifting one's spirits and alleviating mild depressive feelings.
- Skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora) is a superb tonic for the nervous system which makes it a great choice when you are feeling anxious, hyped-up and need a clear mind. As Skullcap calms without being sedating, this makes it ideal for stressful situations in which you need to keep the mind clear.
- Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) has been valued for centuries due to its benefits for the mind, body and spirit. Tulsi enables the body to better cope with the physical and emotional stresses of day to day living. Tulsi is rejuvenating to the brain bringing mental clarity while calming any nervous tension.
- Withania (Withania somnifera) is a beautiful, rejuvenating herb used to improve general health and longevity. As a gentle tonic for the nervous system, this makes it great for the hyped-up, stressed out person, as it enables the body to better cope by calming and strengthening the nervous system. Especially recommended when you are feeling irritable, anxious and having trouble sleeping. Withania is very supportive to the adrenals as these get hammered with the stresses of everyday living.
The preparation and sipping of a cup of herbal infusion is a relaxing, simple ritual of self-care for oneself. So, if you are in need of a little more serenity and bliss to help you cope with this 21st century epidemic head to the herbal tea room for your little bit of bliss in a tea cup ღ